Practical tips for those of you who rent a camper for the first time
Many of you debut as camper users with us and for this reason Campers Barcelona team is delighted to give you some tips for travelling with our campers for the first time. This is the list of details to consider during your first rental camper road trip.
It is essential to know the exact dimensions of the camper: height, width, and length. Do not worry, or team at Campers Barcelona always reminds you on several occasions at the time of delivery when we review in detail everything you need to know about our campers. Besides, the dimensions of the vehicle are in the documentation that we give you at the time of rental, but you can always write them on a piece of paper or in the notes on your mobile phone and have them handy in case of doubt. Driving our camper is very similar to driving a normal vehicle and it is not difficult at all, it is within every driver’s reach.
Above all, we recommend avoiding bridges or tunnels that are too low or narrow, as well as streets in historic towns, and instead, look for alternative routes. Height restrictions are always posted both in route and in parking lots and highway barriers.
- For storing clothes, we recommend packing your luggage in soft suitcases, such as sports bags, because once all the clothes are placed in the closets, the suitcases do not take up extra space. Garment bags can be folded easily and do not take up space. We also recommend bringing small backpacks for when you want to do an excursion or walk one the camper is parked.
- As for food, we advise you to check the refrigerator at home and take any leftover or about to expire food with you on the camper’s fridge. Bringing totes will be great for you in case another day you have leftover food cooked in the camper or from a restaurant or take away so you can save the remains for another day. Depending on how many days you are on the road, we recommend that you finish filling the camper’s kitchen cabinets by making a first stop at a large supermarket with a large parking lot where you can park comfortably and do your shopping for the road trip. We recommend that you buy the basics such as: pasta, milk, rice, olive oil, salt, bread, cold cuts, cookies, etc. But it is also good to leave some room to try the gastronomy of the destination or various destinations that you will visit with the camper. So, you can start the route with the fridge full of soft drinks and the pantry for emergencies, but always leave room for typical food from each area. The advantage is that many of the day-to-day products, if left over, are well stored and can be taken back home after the road trip if you have not used them all.
- It is important to close all the closets, and have clothes and food well stored, so they do not open during the road trip because something could break or harm passengers. It is also important not to leave objects on the camper’s kitchen counter or bunk beds that could fall. Cushions and pillows or bedding hold up well and you do not have to worry about slipping during the trip. It is also very important to close the skylights and windows before starting the camper. Failure to close them could cause them to open during the trip and damage any element of the vehicle or personnel.
- Always ask for help to maneuver the rental camper, the ideal person is always the co-pilot, otherwise you will always find people who are happy to help. Pay special attention to streetlights, low posts, and the bike rack when backing up.
- We advise you to drain waste water every 2 days. Remember that it is necessary to do it in the areas reserved for this purpose. Especially the chemical toilet since there are chemical substances and emptying it into the environment is not responsible or ecological.
- One of the advantages of traveling in a camper is the freedom and comfort of improvising and modifying the route depending on the weather or any other circumstance. In any case, it is always advisable to have a pre-established route to guide you and make sure you have chosen a spot to spend the night before sunset. We recommend you visit the entry (link) about APPs to spend the night.
- To know where we can sleep and where we cannot, we first have to differentiate if we are going to spend the night or if we are going to camp. In the same way that we can stop anywhere with the car and take a nap, we can also do it with a camper van. What we cannot do is camp, whose difference is to take elements outside or deploy elements that make the vehicle exceed its external limits. It is always important to see what the rest of the campers are doing. Normally there are rules, some written, others not ... such as taking out tables and chairs or hanging clothes. We recommend taking advantage of the stops in camping areas to wash and hang clothes, as well as take out tables and chairs if you do not occupy a place where another camper could spend the night.